Thanks for this opportunity to get to know a little more about you and your app “Backspaces” . Having just started using it, I like what I see so far! So let’s take a more in-depth look at how Backspaces came to be…
1. what gave you the inspiration to build Backspaces?
Backspaces came from two things. The first was a simple mapping app that Dmitri made over a weekend. He would snap photos and the app would plot them on a map. At the time, I was thinking a lot about the problems with social media, and more importantly, the digital content that people create. I felt like there was a space for more breathing room on the web for people’s content. Narrative seemed like a good place to start. When I saw Dmitri’s app, I could see that this was it. In a dead simple way, you could quickly create and share your day with someone. That’s how it got started.
2. what were you doing before you created the app?
Dmitri and I were working on a different idea involving nonprofits that never really panned out. But it did give us time to learn to work together and now we have a great synergy.
3. approximately how many users are already on the app?
We have 50,000 users to date.
4. Why should someone who is using IG, look into your app?
We created Backspaces for storytellers - but also to prove that everyone has a story to tell. IG lets you quickly share something, and that’s cool, but when you want to really express a thought or reflect on some events or emotions you’ve captured, Backspaces can help you tell that story.
5. You seem to be very focused on reaching out to the community. What is your pledge to the user. How will you make sure you are giving us the best possible platform to use?
We really believe that community is everything. I tell everyone that we don’t have all the answers but that we can definitely find them with help from the community. The reality is that you can build a great business while still aligning your growth with the creators. YouTube has done a great job of this. Our pledge to users is this: your content, your value, your benefit. We’re determined to build a platform where everyone benefits.
6. what are some of the major differences with Backspaces compared to the slew of other photo sharing apps?
We are by and large a storytelling platform first, a photo sharing app second. We want to help people tell stories and we think photos and text is the very best way to do that.
7. What are some exciting things you are working on improving about your app?
SO MUCH STUFF! We’re working to make hashtags more community oriented, making it easier to create stories, lotsa bug fixes, updating the comments, playing with new formats for creation, updating our own filters, adding stuff for web (you can login to http://backspac.es to read, comment, like and search already!).
8. where do you see yourself as well as Backspaces heading in the coming year?
We’re going to be the place to tell the world’s stories. And we’re going to prove that everyone has great stories to tell.
9. Any last words you would like to tell the reader?
We’re just thrilled and honored to have people in our community. Sometimes you use an app and you feel so far away from the developers behind it and it feels soulless. We love making stories, and we love reading them everyday. Literally everyday we’re looking at stuff and amazed at the things people share. It has made the world feel like a smaller more connected place for me. So thank you to everyone who’s given it a go ;)